Labour Party Pakistan demonstrations rallies, Dharnas and strikes on 1st March 2011
Labour Party Pakistan announces the following actions for Tuesday 1st March across Pakistan.
There are three main demands that LPP is putting forward for the day.
Release the four arrested labour leaders of power looms Labour Qaumi Movement arrested on 21st July during a workers strike for wage increase. They are Rana Mohammed Riaz, Fazal Ilahi, Akbar Kamboh and Babar Randhawa.
Reinstate the suspended and terminated workers leaders of Pakistan Telecommunication (PTCL) immediately. There is a reign of terror for the workers in PTCL after it is been privatized in 2005. When, last year workers protested for wage increase, 600 were suspended from jobs and there are still 100 workers leaders who are not back to their job. This is unacceptable.
Increase the minimum wages to Rupees 15000 from the present 7000 a month. This is because of the unprecedented price hike during the last three years by PPP and its alliance government. All the main parties including PMLN are united in implementing the neo liberal agenda and all the anti workers conditionality’s of the IMF and World Bank.
Tuesday 1st March 2011
Complete strike by power looms and textile workers in Faisalabad, Jhang, Gojra and Toba Tek Singh. Workers rallies from different parts of Faisalabad will gather at district council Chouck for a Dharana on the day starting 11am, there will gatherings in front opf press clubs in Gojra, Toba Tek Singh and Jhang.
Please Contact for more information and participation:
1. Faisalabad: Rana Mohammed Tahir 03007252295
2. Toba Tek Singh: 2.30pm in front of Press Club Tariq Mehmood 03449557182
3. Gojra: 11am in front of Press Club ( Shabir Ahmad
4. Jhang: 12pm in front of Press Club (Shafiq Rehman 03038025515)
5. Lahore: Protest Dharana at GPO Chouck Mall Road Lahore at 4pm contact Rana Mohammed Aslam 03004210024
6. Karachi: in front of Karachi Press Club at 2pm (Nasir Mansoor 03003587211)
7. Qasur: in front of Railway Station Qasur 4pm (Choudry Imtiaz Ahmad advocate 03006594622)
8. Gojranwala: 3pm Sheranawala Gate (Haroon Ahmad 03216423608)
9. Kot Radha Krishan: Malik Abdul Rashid 03454623473
10. Ali Pur Chatha: 2pm in front of Press Club (A R Adil 03007431150)
11. Okara: 11 am in front press club (Mehr Abdul Sattar 03006961545)
12. Chishtian: 2pm Yadgar Chouck (Rana Mohammed Tahir 03027546426)
13. Hafiz Abad: 2pm in front of Press Club (Ghulam Abbas 03456960672)
14. Depal Pur: 2pm in front of Press Club (Shabir Ahmad Sajid 03216979341)
15. Peshawar: 2pm Peshawar Press Club (Farooq Ahmad 03469329518)
16. Matta , Swat: 11 am Main Bazar (Jalal Ahmad 03078535198)
17. Islamabad : 2pm in front of National Press Club (Talat Rubab 03219402319)
18. Multan: 12pm in front Multan Press Club (Suhail Javed 03336101885)
19. Hyderabad: 2pm in front of Hyderabad Press Club (Nisar Lighari 03342618651)
20. Mandi Bahuldin: 4pm in front of Press Club (Sher Mohammed Gondal advocate 03328005237)
21. Layya: 12pm in front of Layya Press Club (Anayt Kashif advocate 03017848013)
22. Nankana Sahib: 11 am in front of Press Club Maqsood Bhatti 0300 4620250
23. Moro: 2pm in front of Moro Press Club (Younas Rahu 03003073179)
24. Dera Ghazi Khan: 3pm in front of Press Club (Faiz Rasul advocate 03326788715)
25. Tando Adam: 2pm in front of Press Club (Anwar Chakrani 03068299959)
26. Mir Pur Khas: 2pm in front of Press Club (Ghulam Qadir Mirani advocate 03322807141)
27. Sanghar: 2 pm in front of Press Club (Behram Shah 03332911530)
28. Muzafar Ghar: 3pm In front Press Club (Kamran Bhatti 03037234663)
29. Lodharan: 3pm in front of Press Club (Rao Rafiq
30. Narowal: 11am Kethechery Chouck ( Asif Bhatti 03007150303)
31. Pindi Bhattian: 2pm Press Club (Ghulam Abbas 03456960672)
32. Gujrat: 2pm Gujrat Press Club (Haroon Ahmad 03008725963)
33. Sheikhupura: 2pm in front of Press Club
34. Jatoi: 12 pm in front of Press Club (Baba Latif 03236606306)
If you want to organize a rally on the day or want to help in this process, please call Maqsood Mujahid (03214298094)
Here is what we sent earlier to you in more details of the day,
Top judges anti workers attitude: Now face the music of workers anger on 1st March
Labour Party Pakistan to organize a day of protest
By: Farooq Tariq
There are growing trends among the higher courts of Pakistan to show their anti workers anger whenever there is a case being heard on the issue of strikes, demonstrations, rallies and other means of peaceful protests. There is a different attitude of the higher courts about the protests of lawyers and other sections of the middle classes. There is a very clear discriminatory attitude towards working class struggle in Pakistan by the top judges.
Top judges are happy to take individual cases of violation of human rights and we are happy with that, however, whenever there is a collective action by a section for the working class in Pakistan, the attitude seems always to favour of the bosses. It has been shown in declaring the workers strikes as illegal, rejecting the bail application of the arrested workers during strikes, not taking notices of gross violations of labour laws, no implementation of minimum wages, no remedies for those workers losing jobs in violation of labour laws and so on.
Labour Party Pakistan has decided to organize a day of action for workers right to protest and against the top judges’ discriminatory attitude towards the struggle of the working class. On Tuesday 1st March, thousands of workers across Pakistan will organize rallies, demonstrations and strikes to assert their rights of organizing peaceful means of struggle.
There will be complete strike of power looms and textile workers in Faisalabad, Jhang, Gojra, Toba Tek Singh and Kamalia. Hundreds of textile factories and power looms factories will be shut down during this strike. In Faisalabad, thousands of workers will come to Ghanta Ghar, the center of Faisalabad and will organize a sit in. Over 250,000 workers will take part in strikes and rallies on the day in Fiaslabad division.
Four workers leaders of Faisalabad power looms, Fazal Ilahi, Akbar Kamboh, Rana Riaz and Babar Randhawa are behind bar since 21st July 2010. They were arrested during a power looms workers strike for wage increase and were framed under anti terrorist laws. Despite all the assurances by the police and local administrations during several protest rallies to remove the anti terrorist charges against them, they are still facing the terrorist charges and are behind bar. Their bail application was rejected last week by the reactionary chief justice of Lahore High Court without looking at the file of the case.
We have decided enough is enough; now face the music of Pakistani working class on 1st March across Pakistan.
Over 600 Pakistan Telecommunication (PTCL) workers have been suspended or removed from their jobs by the administration of the privatized PTCL. Their crime: to organize protest for wage increase. Most of the 600 workers of PTCL are the leaders of different unions of PTCL and there is a whole sale attack on the unions in PTCL. The top judges are quite on the issue and no action taken by the courts or even by the PPP government about the fate of these very senior leaders of the trade union movement.
They are now organized in a united front of all the PTCL unions and will start their mass campaign for the reinstatement from 23th February by erecting a protest camp in Islamabad and then from 1st of March will join the national campaign for workers rights.
Despite the stay order of the National Industrial Relation Commission (NIRC), 17 union leaders have been kicked out of their jobs when they formed a union. Nishat textile Mills is owned by the richest man of Pakistan Mian Mansha, thanks to the privatization of MCB Bank under Nawaz government that Mian Mansha has become the richest man and has become a very anti worker boss. The union in MCB was thrown out and now all the textile factories of Mian Mansha are without any union.
Most of the union members of The Inter Wood furniture factory lost their job after they formed the first ever union in Lahore factory of Inter Wood. It is known to labour deprtment of Punjab that Mian Nawaz Sharif family took special interest in this case to favor the boss who is a close friend of the family. No action was taken by any court of Pakistan for this gross violation of human rights of the labour for their constitutional right of forming associations.
New Khan Metro Bus Service is owned by A leader of Muslim League ( the boss changes the Muslim League frequently, now a leader of PMLN and earlier was in PMLQ). The first ever union in the company was suppressed by the boss by terminating the jobs of the union leaders. The case in in labour courts for over two years and no grievances of the union is been addressed by the courts.
No labour department officer can enter any industrial units in Punjab. This was the order of Pervaiz Ilahi in 2003 (the Punjab chief minister under Musharaf), a complete unity is shown by Mian Shahbaz Sharif on this issue with him, this ban is still intact despite a very clear order of Lahore High Court and courts seems impotents after they have decided in favour of workers to implement their order.
There are at least 14 other cases of top judges discriminatory attitude towards the workers effort to form new trade unions.
There will be demonstration in at least 50 cities of Pakistan on 1st March 2011, we will issue the list of the cities and place and timing of these demonstrations and rallies.
- Release the four textile workers facing terrorist charges immediately
- Reinstate all PTCL suspended workers with immediate effect
- The courts must take action against those bosses violating labour laws
- Lift labour inspection from the factories
- A guarantee of implementation of Rupees 7000 wages for all unskilled workers according to the notification of the government all over Pakistan and just in Islamabad , (Chief Justice Iftikhar Choudry issued an order of implementing this in Islamabad while taking a sue moto notice of a security guard)
- Respect workers right to strike, organize unions and demand a respectable working condition, environment and wages for all workers
- Increase the minimum wages to Rupees 15000 monthly for all workers
We expect all friends and supporters of workers to participate in these rallies. We also call on other political parties and trade unions to endorse this call of action.
We need your support, moral, financial and physical
1. Please participate in the rallies
2. Please endorse the call of the action day, (Individual and organizational, both welcome)
3. Please send a donation for this day of action
4. Please send a message of solidarity to be printed and read at the rallies in major cities of Pakistan
Please send your donation to
Account holder: Labour Party Pakistan
Account number: 0949-01010026793
Swift code: MUCBPKKAA
MCB Bank, Beadon Road Lahore, Pakistan